The sleep deprived ramblings of one full-time mom. I pretty much write to stay marginally sane and to make other moms feel better about themselves. You're welcome.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Post-Traumatic Sleepover Disorder

My eight year old son went to an overnight birthday party last night. Clearly the mom is either completely unhinged or has an impressive stockpile of Xanex in her medicine cabinet, because there were SIX boys staying over, all of whom could be labeled "high energy" by their parents or "spastic little hellions" by anyone not related to them. Did I mention this is a single mom? Obviously the odds of her ending up bound and gagged in a closet were high.

She was taking them all to Kansas City to a restaurant called T-Rex which is basically a dinosaur-themed establishment whose sole purpose is to drain parents' savings accounts. Undoubtedly the boys were on their best behavior and were a shining example of decorum and manners. Miles called to let us know they made it safely back to his friend's house, so either the mom was still in the picture or they threw her in the trunk and took turns driving.

Then at 11:30 my husband received a text that read "pick me up. will is kicking me." Brian called Miles' cell and apparently in the two minute lag between the text and the phone call, the boys had made up and were once again BFFs. Unfortunately, this told us that not only were they still awake at almost midnight, they were still energetic enough to be violent.

I know this is all part of The Slumber Party Code which states that anyone attending must stay awake until he or she is so tired they feel like vomiting (I remember well staying up all night watching Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and listening to Tiffany), but I also know my son and know that today will NOT be pretty. He can be a challenge on twelve hours of sleep, so when he's sleep-deprived it's rather like having a tiger in the house who has been caged and starved for weeks while being poked regularly with sharp sticks.

On that note, it's time to pick him up. I think I'll ask the mom if she has any extra Xanex...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a brave soul. I think I might forget the way to the mom's house...

Um, and Tiffany? Really? I don't know that I can associate musically with you any longer. Debbie Gibson was way cooler on so many different levels.